Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pam's job search

Hi Everyone.

It's Pam with an update on my progress with Operation Relaunch Career. Since my meeting with Cynthia Fassler, I have spent the majority of my scheduled career search time honing my resume. When I emailed a copy to Cindy, she informed me that the formatting was pretty off (it made her eyes hurt!). Maybe this is at the root of why I haven't gotten any call backs for interviews. I'd been using text edit and I needed more word processing power so I downloaded some free software and resubmitted my resume to her, hopefully I am up to speed on this now! I have to laugh at myself for this one, but it really does demonstrate how critical feedback from others in the work force can be, especially seasoned professionals who know the competitive market.

I'm realizing that I need to improve how I present my self professionally on many levels (not something I spent a lot of time thinking about in my former life as a stay-at-home mom). Cindy is very helpful in this regard, and will coach me in preparation for interviews, etc.

I spoke with Andrew Duffy on the phone, regarding my workouts and we are going to focus on adding more cardio and cross-training next session. Getting the heart rate up and the endorphins flowing sounds great, and I intend to take advantage of the longer days as spring approaches.

As far as keeping to the schedule, honestly, I'd give myself a B-, and that's primarily because I had a task to do (ie - working on the resume), which I'm better at, than forcing myself to do the hard stuff, like cold calling people and dropping off resumes. Breaking my schedule down into smaller manageable units, setting smaller daily/weekly goals, and following daily to do lists is the next step.

So far, my experience with this Operation Relaunch Career makeover is different from the typical makeover one sees on TV, where there's this big "Ta-da" moment and voila the makeover contestant is exquisitely transformed. For me, it's a more subtle process.

Sure, changing things on the outside does add to one's confidence, but I'm noticing my confidence is growing more from the inside. It's amazing how the generous guidance of others we respect, who hold us accountable, can push us to accomplish more than we would on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment