Sunday, January 30, 2011

Discipline and scheduling time

It's Pam again!

After my personal training session with Andrew Duffy, it was clear to me that I need to commit to a concrete schedule to stay on task with the training he is recommending if I want to make progress. It is really important to me in life and in my line of work to be physically fit, and I have learned over time that if I take care of my body, my mind and emotions are healthier as well. This is the critical foundation I need in order to move forward. I got one workout in this weekend and have scheduled two more next week.  I notice how some exercises are easier and fun, but some I hate (push-ups). I just try to push through my resistance.

On Friday, I met with Cynthia Fassler who is also generously donating her services as a job counselor, and I came away with the same message. I MUST schedule daily time for my job search. She recommended committing to a two hour time slot daily in which I focus completely on finding employment. And I can't just sit around in my sweats, I need to get dressed as if I were going out to network, put on lipstick, look the part. Maybe hit the library, network by calling and meeting with other professionals. I like her mix it up approach. We'll start by honing a resume that works, move on to a solid cover letter and start getting it out there with direct mail, cold calls and in-person drop-offs. She encouraged me to commit to this approach for 90 days. It is my priority to get a full-time position as an associate chiropractor in a clinic in the Bay Area.

It really helps to have the some outside encouragement and validation for change.  After being a "stay-at-home mom" for all these years, I have some deeply in-grained habits that boil down to taking care of everyone else's needs before my own. Now that I need to get back into the paid work force, it's time to break these habits and feel okay about putting my priorities for employment first. Even though the impending transformation to working mom is for the greater good of the family, there's definitely some resistance in all of us to changing the status quo. It's a challenge, but having back-up makes all the difference. Thanks for the support "dream team"!

No comments:

Post a Comment